ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AND CONSERVATION
Environment Department deals with Environment & Forest related matters of ECL. Regularly monitoring of impact of coal mining activities on environment is under taken and adequate environment protective measures are taken in accordance with the provisions stipulated in the Statutory Norms, Acts and Rules. Besides taking steps for better adherence of Environment Clearance and Forest Clearance conditions the company has taken green initiatives towards sustainable development. This has culminated into a Company-wide Certification with ISO 9001:2015, ISO 14001:2015 & OHSAS 18001:2015.
Major Achievements during 2018-19:
- Environment Clearance Amendment of Cluster No. 4, Cluster No. 9 & Cluster No. 10 was obtained which will facilitate production from mines under Salanpur, Kunustoria & Satgram Area.
- EC Condition amendment of Cluster No 11, which will enable commencement of operation of New Kenda OCP (1.2 MTPA).
- In compliance to MoEF&CC’s OM Dated 06.04.2018 regarding regularization of EC under EIA Notification, 2006, updated Form I for Rajmahal OCP (17.0 MTPA) was submitted and successfully deliberated before EAC. The compliance for points raised by EAC is being carried out.
- In compliance to MoEF&CC’s OMs related to processing of Environment Clearance for violation proposals, updated Form I for Mohanpur OCP (2.5 MTPA) was applied and presented before EAC. The compliance of recommendations of EAC is being carried out.
- i)Stage-II Forest Clearance Proposals of Chitra East OCP (124.28 Ha):
- The proposal was forwarded to MOEF&CC on 17.07.2018 after requisite compliance of recommendations of FAC.
- On 28.08.2018, MOEF&CC has sought additional compliances viz, dully-filled Performa of payments in CAMPA account and updated and approved scheme for conservation of flora and fauna with deposition of commensurate fund.
- Scheme for conservation of flora and fauna has been prepared in co-ordination with State Forest Department, Govt. of Jharkhand. The Plan has been approved by Chief Wildlife Warden and commensurate fund of 6.49 Crore has been deposited.
- ii)Stage-II Forest Clearance of Hurra C OCP (260 Ha):
- The proposal was forwarded to MOEF&CC on 23.08.2018.
- On 15.10.2018, MOEF&CC has sought additional compliances in respect of details of payment made in CAMPA account, Copy of approved Wildlife Management plan, clarification w.r.t. Suitability of CA land.
- In respect of analyzing the suitability of CA land rigorous land survey and inspection in two districts viz. Dumka and Godda was conducted.
- Apart from these, two of the long pending compliances which could have affected the forwarding the proposal of Hurra C OCP have been complied:
- a)Long pending compliance for providing 37.67 Ha non-forest land for CA have been processed in case of Rajmahal OCP.
- b)Stage II FC Condition no. 23 of Hurra C OCP; for returning of 17.64 Ha forest land of Rajmahal OCP to State Forest Department, Govt. of Jharkhand has also been complied.
Plantation & Reclamation:
ECL has undertaken Multi-tier plantation in 140.50 Ha (which is 33% above the target) over Backfilled Area (50.5 Ha), External OB Dump (22.2 Ha) and other Plain Lands (67.8 Ha). A total of 3,51,250 Nos of saplings has been planted through West Bengal State Forest Department.
ECL as a whole is an ISO 9001:2015 ISO 14001:2015 & OHSAS 18001:2015 certified company. ECL has conducted successfully 2 (two) internal surveillance audits by internal ISO auditors and 2 (two) external surveillance audits by the certification body. The company has been granted certificates with continuation of the latest system standards of ISO 9001:2015 ISO 14001:2015 & OHSAS 18001:2015.
- Third party audit on EC compliance of Rajmahal OCP and Sonepur Bazari OCP by ICFRE was successfully completed. Final audit report has been submitted.
- Performance Audit by CAG on “Assessment of Environmental Impact due to Mining Activities and its Mitigation in Eastern Coalfields Limited” has been successfully completed. Exit conference meeting held on 16.11.2018 at the Office DG, Indian Audit and Accounts at Kolkata.
Installation of piezometers for ground water monitoring:
In compliance to EC conditions for monitoring of ground water, ECL has installed 30 Nos of piezometric bore wells will 15 automatic well recorders through outside agency covering all the clusters and stand-alone projects of ECL.
- Study of Carbon and Water Foot print of Sonepur Bazari OCP over 100 Ha of plantation done in Sonepur Bazari OCP is being conducted through NEERI.
- The work of treatability study of sewage/effluent treatment plant at 11 different colonies, 2 workshops and 2 hospitals of ECL was awarded to IIT-ISM Dhanbad.
- The study of Numerical Modeling in 3D for subsidence Prediction and Management for Tilaboni UG for FC application of 38.44 Ha forest land has been awarded to IIT-BHU.